25 enero 2006

Córdoba

I have been spending the last few days roaming around the city of Córdoba, the second-biggest in Argentina after Buenos Aires. It´s positioned nicely in the middle of the country; "el corazon del pais", as they like to put it here.

Like its Spanish namesake it is infernally hot in the summer (don´t forget it´s summer here!) But that doesn´t spoil the fun; on the contrary, I like the feel of it all. The streets are wide and it is lively all around. It is not touristy here and you don´t feel like you stand out because of it. If it wasn´t for the fact that I have to open my mouth from time to time, I could almost blend in. (On a sidenote: I don´t know what it is that they babble around here in Argentina, but it sure doesn´t sound a lot like the Spanish I know. Just stick to the language, people!)

So I have been wandering around, soaking up the atmosphere and trying not to overheat too much - a real danger here ... I can´t put my finger yet on the Argentinians, but I´m getting closer. All the luxuries of the modern world can be found here, but you also see a horse-drawn carriage going down the streets. Big supermarkets and trendy malls, but also loads of the little neighbourhood shops. It´s like a crossroads of the "poor" and "rich" world. Sometimes you think you are in southern Europe and *poof* ... you´re in the USA. But it´s all Argentina ! :-)

Icecream parlours, yellow cabs, big sunglasses, baguettes with bacon and cheese, weird door keys, air-conditioned buses, cooking shows on TV with nuns, fast computers (I finally got to play some Civilization IV - thanks Ries) and finally: friendly, polite and frighteningly beautiful people.
But not much rest allowed in the city. I´m off to find some peace and quiet (and a pool). I bet they have that here too in Argentina.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anónimo said...

It sounds like we have lost you forever to Argentina.
Nice trade: we get Maxima, they get Hans!

Daan

jueves, 26 enero, 2006  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

After his previous travels Hans tried to convince me that he photographs people randomly and that it was sheer coincidence that there were more beautiful women to be seen then men.
Right!

Daan

viernes, 27 enero, 2006  
Blogger Hans said...

It is clear that the chief here is by far the wisest, commenting on the most interesting picture by far. How !

Tweelingzusje gets the "melon" prize, being the first to comment on it. (I don´t know what it is yet, but I will think of something)

And on the more women than men; I was wondering about that, so I started counting a bit in Córdoba. And there were about three times as many girls as boys there. Really.
Of course that doesn´t explain the statistically interesting 20 to 1 ratio of my pictures ... no idea yet how that happens ;-)

viernes, 27 enero, 2006  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

I have an idea how that happens, but I can't say that in public.....

Love you anyway, Hans.

Daan

viernes, 27 enero, 2006  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home