23 febrero 2006

A Place to Stay

Having crossed from Chiloé to Chilean Patagonia, I really start to feel removed more and more from "civilisation". This area is called the "Carreterra Austral": Small towns with wooden houses amidst huge wilderness, rough roads and sporadic public transport. Well, there are worse places to get stuck for a day or two. I did the wildest white water river rafting ever on the Rio Futaleufú (try saying that a few times) and visited the temperate rainforest of Parque Pumalin yesterday where I was introduced to a 3000 year old "Alerce" tree ... no you don´t have to guess the words :-)

I am staying in an interesting place now in Chaitén: a hexagonal house built by a German origami wizard. He apparently made his fortune folding animals out of paper and decided to spend it all in Chile. Great place, and he´s an excellent guitar player too.

I have lost count of the places I stayed in the last months. Most of them were nothing special; not good, not bad, just a place to dump your stuff and sleep at night. Some of them were pretty bad; unfriendly people, noisy, dirty, crappy beds. Sometimes you take a room, sometimes a dormitory bed for some snoring fun, and if you want to enjoy some of the nature you will find yourself waking up in a tent now and then. You might get a breakfast (in varying quality and quantities...), or you can use the kitchen. I like it if there is a common room, where you can sit and chat, read a book or watch TV a bit.

But there are places that just feel right. They might be beautiful, have a welcoming atmosphere, conveniently located, relaxing, the owner might play beautiful guitar music (already had that twice) and if you´re lucky you meet really good people ... or fluffy puppies :-D

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anónimo said...

I don't think he will buy a puppy on return, I think he will not return at all......

viernes, 24 febrero, 2006  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Not to worry, if he doesn't come back on his own I will make him!
I have some special secret weapons up my sleeves!

viernes, 24 febrero, 2006  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

I have very big sleeves! most of the time I don't even have a clue what I've got up them...

sábado, 25 febrero, 2006  
Blogger Hans said...

If coming back is the only way to stop this woman banter, maybe I just should ...

sábado, 25 febrero, 2006  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Hey Hans, stupid question maybe but all the pics on your blog are yours right?

Cause they look straight from National Geographic and when you come back you might want to persue a carreer in photography!

Still happily reading your adventures and each time I do, I want to travel again too...

Have even more fun and keep up the blog!!

lunes, 27 febrero, 2006  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

You see, Hans, I'm not the only one giving this career advise!

;-)

lunes, 27 febrero, 2006  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home